Nigeria: Grain and Feed Update

  |   Attaché Report (GAIN)

Nigeria’s wheat imports in marketing year (MY) 2018/19 are forecast at 5.4 million metric tons (MMT), up 4 percent from the MY 2017/18 import figure of 5.2 million metric tons. FAS Lagos (Post) attributes the increase to millers’ greater access to foreign exchange. Food import bans are the cornerstone of the Nigerian government’s agricultural development and food security agenda. Nigeria imposes a 10 percent tariff and a 60 percent levy (totaling 70 percent) on imported rice (arriving by sea), when it authorizes the import. The official ban on rice imports through land borders remains, but is reportedly difficult to control. Post forecasts Nigeria’s rice imports in MY 2018/19 at 2.5 MMT, up 25 percent compared to the MY 2017/18 figure of 2 million metric tons. 

Nigeria: Grain and Feed Update

Related Reports

Attaché Report (GAIN)

Taiwan: 2023 US Agricultural Exports to Taiwan Summary

In 2023, the total value of U.S. agricultural and related products exported to Taiwan was $3.7 billion, a decrease of 15 percent compared to the previous year.
Attaché Report (GAIN)

Thailand: Rice Price - Weekly

Rice export prices further decreased 1-2 percent due to the weakening of the Thai baht.
Attaché Report (GAIN)

Ukraine: Poultry and Products Semi-annual

Ukraine’s chicken meat production continued to recover in 2023, driven by low feed costs and stable energy supplies and macroeconomic environment. Facing lower world market poultry prices in the first three quarters of 2023, Ukrainian poultry producers concentrated on import replacement on the domestic market and exports to the European Union, under the tariff- and quota-free access granted to Ukraine in solidarity after Russia’s full-scale invasion.