Renewing Your Official or Diplomatic Passport

If your passport has expired, or if you are requiring a renewal passport, you should complete the DS-82 Passport Request Form.

FAS Employees

FAS employees and Travel Arrangers must use the International Passport and Visa Request System (IPATTS). FAS employees can refer to the How to Guide to Obtain A Passport or VISA to help navigate the IPATTS system. For those FAS employees located within the DC Metro area, ITS will take photos for you - to send along with your passport application.  Please Note:  an appointment is required for all photo services.

Non-FAS Employees

If you are not an FAS employee, you should work with your Agency Travel Coordinator who must submit  your travel request via the IPATTS system to  the Travel Management Branch (TMB) (Room  4847 South Building, Washington, DC - on your behalf. If you are not an FAS employee, you must provide two passport photos to your Agency Travel Coordinator when you submit your Passport Request Form.

The traveler is responsible for completing either the DS-11 or DS-82 Passport Request Form and providing the additional required documentation to their Agency Travel Coordinator or Travel Arranger (for FAS employees). Refer to the respective forms for further information regarding eligibility and required additional documentation.

Once you have completed the form you must make an appointment to take an oath. If you are located in the Washington, DC area, - TMB will contact you to make an appointment for you to take an oath as required by the Department of State.

If you are out of the Washington, DC area, your Agency Travel Coordinator or Travel Arranger will obtain a signed - Letter of Authorization (LOA) from TMB and send to you. When you have received the signed  LOA, you must find an Official Agent who will administer the oath. You can locate a Passport Agent by visiting the following link  Once the Passport Request Form has been signed and the oath taken, you must mail your documents to  TMB so that they can process your passport request with the Department of State.  Please write your name on the outside of any sealed envelope returned to you from the Passport Agent-DO NOT open this envelope.

The passport will arrive to  TMB or your Agency Travel Coordinator when the Department of State has processed it. If you are out of the Washington, DC area your passport will be mailed to you.  FAS travelers will need to provide a UPS/Federal Express shipping label to TMB.  The Agency Travel Coordinator will make arrangements to mail passports to their travelers.

If you have any questions, contact your Travel Arranger or Agency Travel Coordinator  for more information.

Note: In compliance with Departmental Manual-2300-1 Appendix A. International Travel Procedures, passports that have expired are removed (within 5 days after expiration) from the TMB files and sent to the Passport Office for destruction.

 Each Agency Travel Coordinator should run a report in IPATTS, which provides a list of passports that will be expiring within the next nine months. This provides each agency sufficient time to request the re-issuance of an agency's employee passport.