Italy: Italian Industrial Hemp Overview 2020

  |   Attaché Report (GAIN)

Hemp cultivation in Italy is legal since January 2017 when the Italian law No. 242/2016 promoting hemp cultivation and its industrial uses entered into force, leading to a sector revival, with more than 800 farms cultivating 4,000 hectares (ha) as an alternative to durum wheat. Approximately 80 percent of the Italian hemp production is destined to the food industry. The remaining 20 percent goes to green building, cosmetics, and nutraceutical sectors. On January 15, 2020, the Italian Ministry of Health published a decree on the Official Gazette setting the maximum level of THC content allowed in hemp food at 2 milligrams/kilogram for hempseeds, hempseed flour, and supplements containing ingredients derived from hemp; and 5 milligrams/kilogram for hempseed oil.

Italy: Italian Industrial Hemp Overview 2020


Related Reports

Chinese buyers are traveling back to the United States and showing strong interest in U.S. products. Since the reopening of China to travel, four delegations have participation in reverse trade missions to the United States with many others traveling...
Attaché Report (GAIN)

United Kingdom: UK Import Controls Update

The United Kingdom's Border Target Operating Model, its post-Brexit system of import controls on animals, animal products, plants, and plant products, is set to come into effect on exports from the EU on January 31, 2024, and from the rest of the...
South Africa’s sorghum imports are expected to be elevated over the next two marketing years on lower production coupled with lower stocks as production continues to decline. Sorghum production in South Africa dropped over the past two decades as...